Do you remember the old-time toy, the Etch-a-Sketch? You used two knobs to draw/doodle on it and when you were finished, you could just shake it a few times and it would erase whatever you had done. We all have done things we’re not especially proud of and wish we could just shake it like an Etch-a-Sketch and make it go away. Thankfully, God has one for your life and mine and it’s called Forgiveness.
Hebrews 8:12 - They’ll get to know me by being kindly forgiven,
with the slate of their sins forever wiped clean.
Things to think about:
· Just like on an Etch-a-Sketch, there are two knobs we can turn: One is our Attitude, and the other is our Actions
o When our Attitude is not good we draw a picture full of envy, lust and pride (1 John 2:16)
o When our Actions aren’t what they should be, we draw a picture full of selfishness, anger, slander, etc. (Eph. 4:31)
· We all do stupid things that we either immediately or later regret.
o Some of us are walking around carrying a big load of guilt about mistakes made in the past
· BUT, when we do blow it, and ask for forgiveness, the Bible says in 1 John 1:9 – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
o Romans 8:1 – “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus”
· God’s Etch-a-Sketch is called Love and it has two knobs too and they’re called Grace and Mercy
o Ephesians 2:4-5 – “ But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.”
· He is drawing a beautiful portrait that can never be marred or erased
o Hebrews 8:12 – “…with the slate of their sins forever wiped clean”
· How does knowing that God has forever wiped the slate of your sins unburden you from feeling guilty?
o How does that empower you to shake the Etch-a-Sketch of someone else who may have hurt you in the past?
o Ephesians 4:32 - Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.