If I told you I had the secret to being happy, there’s a good chance you would want to know it. I just did a Google search on “secret to being happy” and got 122MM hits so apparently I’m not the only one wondering about this! The good news is we don’t have to go to Google looking for happiness, we can go to God. In His word, we find in Philippians 4:11-13 the following from the Apostle Paul:
...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.
Things to think about:
- From a material perspective, we all live in relative “plenty” and are well fed, so why aren’t we content?
- The Bible says it has to do with our perceived unmet needs and/or our felt inadequacies
- What are sources of discontent for you?
- relationships, money, material goods, your career, regrets, approval of others, your spiritual maturity, something else?
- how do these things create stress in your life?
- how do you tend to address or cope with your stress?
- Our verse says “in any and every situation”. What are you dealing with that isn’t covered by "any and every"?
- So the “secret” is “through Him who gives me strength”
- what are the barriers to letting Jesus be your source of strength?
- How hard is it for you to say “I can’t”?
- So how do we activate the power readily available to us?
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 - But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest on me.
- Colossians 1:11 - "being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience"
- John 15:5 - 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
- Hebrews 13:6 - So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."
- So there you have it, the secret to being happy!
- May God grant us the grace and revelation to live in the peace that He has freely given to us. May we not believe the lies that we need more or that we aren’t good enough.
Post a Comment