Our minds control our feelings and our actions. What we think about shapes every facet of our lives. So how do we harness the power of our minds to live the abundant life God has promised us? In our verse below, we have a choice to either conFORM or transFORM our minds. This choice will dictate pretty much everything else in our lives. So which FORMula for living will you choose?
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Things to think about:
· This letter was written to believers – “brothers”
· We have a choice to make
o Conform – to take the shape of or to be in agreement with
o Transform – to change in cooperation or structure
· What is “the pattern of this world”?
o 1 John 2:16 – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life comes not from the Father but from the world
· What does it mean to “transform your mind”?
o The word repent comes from the Greek metanoia which mean to “change my mind”
o It’s that simple and that profound
· Our old nature, our enemy, and our world conspire to keep us thinking untrue or unhealthy thoughts
· God desires for us to transform our minds. His two primary tools are His Word and His Spirit
· Psalm 119 uses six words interchangeably for God’s Word
o Laws, decrees, statutes, precepts, commands, and word
· Proverbs 2:1-5 provides us with an acrostic for LAWS
o Listen – accept My words and store up My commands in you, turn your ear to wisdom
o Ask – if you call out for wisdom and cry aloud for understanding
o Work – if you look for it as silver and search for it as hidden treasure
o See – then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God
· John 14:16-17 – And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever – the Spirit of truth
· Acts 1:8 – and you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you
· 1 John 2:27 - Christ’s anointing teaches you the truth on everything you need to know about yourself and Him, uncontaminated by a single lie. Live deeply in what you were taught.
So, every day we have choices to make – to take in His Word and to allow His Spirit to teach and guide us. Here are His promises from Proverbs 2:7-9
· He holds success in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path.