Saturday, April 25, 2020
Jesus - The Source, The Structure and The Salvation
There are so many facets of the Christian faith to explore that are good and of God and deserving of our time and attention. In verses 15-23 of the first chapter of Colossians, Paul brings us back to the True North of our faith, Jesus. As I re-read this passage in The Message version of the Bible, I was struck by three aspects of Jesus: He is the Source, He is the Structure, and He is the Salvation. Let’s explore each of these and in doing so, bring back into focus the elemental Truth of our faith.
Colossians 1:16 - For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him.
Things to think about:
· Col. 1:15-18 - We look at this Son and see the God who cannot be seen. We look at this Son and see God’s original purpose in everything created. For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment. And when it comes to the church, he organizes and holds it together, like a head does a body.
o Jesus is the representation of God
o Everything got its start in Jesus
o Everything finds its purpose in Jesus
o What is the Holy Spirit illuminating for you as you consider Jesus as The Source of everything?
· Col. 1:18-20 - He was supreme in the beginning and—leading the resurrection parade—he is supreme in the end. From beginning to end he’s there, towering far above everything, everyone. So spacious is he, so roomy, that everything of God finds its proper place in him without crowding. Not only that, but all the broken and dislocated pieces of the universe—people and things, animals and atoms—get properly fixed and fit together in vibrant harmonies, …
o Jesus is eternal
o Jesus is supreme
o Jesus provides a home and healing for all creation
o What is the Holy Spirit illuminating for you as you consider Jesus as The Structure of the universe?
· Col. 1:20-22 - …all because of his death, his blood that poured down from the cross. You yourselves are a case study of what he does. At one time you all had your backs turned to God, thinking rebellious thoughts of him, giving him trouble every chance you got. But now, by giving himself completely at the Cross, actually dying for you, Christ brought you over to God’s side and put your lives together, whole and holy in his presence.
o Jesus’ sacrifice
o Jesus carried us to God’s side
o Jesus put our lives together
o Jesus makes us acceptable before God
o What is the Holy Spirit illuminating for you as you consider Jesus as The Salvation of your soul?
· Col. 1:23 - You don’t walk away from a gift like that! You stay grounded and steady in that bond of trust, constantly tuned in to the Message, careful not to be distracted or diverted. There is no other Message—just this one. Every creature under heaven gets this same Message.
· What characteristics of Jesus feel new or renewed to you as you think through our lesson?
o What are things we can do today to keep ourselves grounded and steady?
o How does our study encourage you to avoid being distracted and diverted?