A few weeks ago, we did our annual Picnic in the Park with our brother, LeQuan Mack. It got me thinking about all of the dominos in my life that had to fall into place for that event to happen.
· Becoming a Christian in college
· A “random” encounter in a NYC Starbucks 25 years ago that lit a fire in me for the poor
· Being introduced to a new friend at a Billy Graham crusade 20 years ago
· A “chance meeting” with a young hotel clerk in Atlanta
· Meeting a stranger on the golf course
Romans 8:28 – “For we know that all things work together for the good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose”
Things to think about:
· Every minute of every day for the entirety of history, God’s plan has been unfolding. And it’s still unfolding.
· Each of the events I mentioned above on their own may not have amounted to much but when woven together as only God can do, a godly moment occurred that brought His people closer to one another and collectively, closer to Him.
· Often we can only see these things in retrospect
God has a plan
o Jeremiah 29:11 – “I know the plans I have for, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Isaiah 46:10-11 – “I make known the end from the beginning, from
ancient times, what is still to come.
I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’
Proverbs 16:9 – “In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the Lord establishes their steps.”
o Ephesians 1:11 – “In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will”
God knows best
Romans 11:33-36 - Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom
and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments,
and his paths beyond tracing out!
“Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?”
“Who has ever given to God,
that God should repay them?”
For from him and through him and for him are all things.
To him be the glory forever!
God can make it happen
o Daniel 4:35 –
“He does as He pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back His hand
or say to him: “What have You done?”
14:26-27 – “This is the plan determined for the whole world; this is the
hand stretched out over all nations.
For the Lord Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart Him? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?”
o Job 42:2 - “I
know that you can do all things;
no purpose of yours can be thwarted.”
o Luke 1:37 – “For no word from God will ever fail”
God works on His own timeline
o 2 Peter 3:8-9 - But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
o Ecclesiastes 3:1 - There is a
time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
o Psalm 27:14 - Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
While the dominos are still being laid out in your life, trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make your paths straight.