Who knew YOU could be a supermodel?! Believe it or not, you have all the right assets to be what others should be emulating. But what are the things that take an Average Joe like you a make him a poster-worthy? Paul tells Timothy, his young colleague in the faith, how to set an example for others – and it’s a framework we can use too.
1 Timothy 4:12 - …but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity
Things to think about:
· I’m always drawn to lists in Gods Word. He could have said anything but these are the five qualities He chose as how we can set an example for all believers.
· Timothy is a young man so you don’t have to be a grizzled veteran before you can be a model for others to follow.
· Oh – and whether you are modeling these qualities or not, people are watching, so it’s a matter of what they’re seeing and if it reflects godly characteristics
· This is a matter of what you do say
o Prov. 10:21 -
The lips of the righteous nourish many,
but fools die for lack of sense.
o Prov. 10:31 - From the mouth of the righteous comes the fruit of wisdom, but a perverse tongue will be silenced.
· and what you don’t say
o Prov. 10:19 -
Sin is not ended by multiplying words,
but the prudent hold their tongues.
· How you live and act in the day to day
o Titus 2:7 – In everything set them an example by doing what is good
o John 14:15 - “If you love me, keep my commands.”
· This is the motivation that seasons everything. The antithesis is legalism.
o 1 Cor. 6:14 - Do everything in love.
· Here, we have the ultimate role model to follow
o Eph. 5:1-2 - Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
· Demonstrating a quiet and consistent confidence in God
o 2 Cor. 5:7 - For we live by faith, not by sight.
o When we are going through challenging times and the outcome is not clear, our faith is put to the test.
§ It’s easy to claim but a little harder to put into practice
§ Again, people notice if what you said you believe aligns with how they observe you
· Rejecting people, places, and habits that corrupt and embracing that which is of God
o Titus 2:11-14 - For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
Titus 2:7-8 - In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
· It’s interesting that the last word here is “us”, not just “you”
o The way we model a Christ-centered life reflects not only on ourselves but on all believers
Post a Comment