As I was reading our verse for today, it struck me that the core problem of evil is a heart filled with pride and arrogance. The natural outgrowth of that kind of heart is evil behavior and perverse speech. Let’s look at how Jesus taught about this and how we can apply this to our lives today.
I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior, and perverse speech
Things to think about:
· In Matthew 12:33 Jesus says, “Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make it bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.”
· Pride and arrogance are at the root of a bad tree that bears bad fruit
o Conversely, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge (Prov 1:7)
§ Only a heart that is marked by a humility with regard to ourselves and an awe for Who God is can bear good fruit
· There are two branches that naturally display the fruit of our heart
· In Matthew 12:34, Jesus continues, “for out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.”
o Ephesians 4:29 – Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
· And finally in Matthew 12:35, He says, “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him.”
o Proverbs 3:27 - Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.
· Galatians 6:8 - Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
· Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.